I’ve been to a number of provinces in the Visayas region last year. Every single time, I needed a Wi-Fi connection because my job required an Internet connection.
I’ll be updating this post as I get to know new Wi-Fi hotspots in the provinces. Please comment if you know of any hotspot in the provinces. I intentionally excluded Davao and Metro Manila because I believe it’s not hard to find hotspots in those cities. Read the rest of this entry
Owner of lost laptop sues Best Buy for $54 million dollars. You think it’s ridiculous? You won’t if you just listen to her story.
Raelyn Campbell bought a laptop from Best Buy and decided to include an extended warranty as well. When the power button broke, he brought it to Best Buy for repairs. They said it will be ready in two to six weeks? First of all, two to six weeks? It’s like saying we’ll just call you when it’s done. OK, back to the story. After six weeks, nothing happened so she called the company.
You guessed right – she was passed around. The good news is they finally know what happened to her laptop. The bad news is it got lost. To make the long story short, she lost the laptop and was lowballed into accepting initially $900 worth of gift card when the laptop cost her $1,100 (including the warranty). So how did she come up with the $54 million dollar lawsuit? Let me count the ways:
- She was told that the fix will take *only* two to six weeks.
- When six weeks was over, she called them up and was passed around.
- She found out that her laptop was lost.
- She was told she would be compensated but after several weeks nothing happened.
- When they finally called, she was offered an insulting $900 gift card! The laptop cost her $1,100 plus thousands of dollars worth of music, photos and software.
- The store manager replied to one of her queries, “For every customer that has had an unpleasant experience I can show you hundreds who have had a great experience. I have been in retail for a long time and the one conclusion I have come to is that not every customer can be satisfied.” If this is a rule, and it isn’t, the situation is obviously an exception!
- A lawyer informed her she could be a victim of identity theft. Best Buy didn’t bother inform her about the possibility.
So why $54 million?
The amount intentionally echoes another lawsuit that made headlines last year — a case involving a D.C. judge who sued a dry cleaner for $54 million over a lost pair of pants. That case was eventually dismissed.
Campbell freely admits she picked the same amount in an effort to attract media attention.
I would have settled for $5 million. I have a family to feed.
I really love this case. It’s a Vanguard Designer case but it seems to be unavailable in the Philippines. Via email, the vendor says this is available in Electroworld stores. I went to Electroworld Park Square and found Vanguard cases for women only. (They look like regular women’s handbags.) Apparently these type (aluminum?) of cases are available only on an order basis. I am having second thoughts ordering since I am not primarily Manila-based.
I love this case because it looks sturdy. I feel that I can drop it anytime without having to worry about my laptop inside. Also, I have a fetish for silver, aluminum, chrome and the like. Moreover, it looks like a gun case or a case that’s full of money (the one you see in movies where the bad guys buy or sell dope).